This is a quick post as I’m 20 minutes away from my first client catch up of the evening and need to kiss our tiddlers good night before then as well!
Tomorrow night will be the first Design Essentials Speed Networking evening. We’ve been asked quite a few questions, so here’s the Q & A for everyone.
How does it work?
I have been asked by Wendy Howell, Founder of Design Essentials to come and co host a speed networking evening. I’ll come with my whistle and if I can find one, a gong.
- Everyone will pair up with someone they don’t know, or want to get to know better.
- I then blow the whistle and you tell them all about yourself for one minute.
- I blow the whistle again and you stop talking, whilst the other person talks.
- I blow the whistle again and shout “find someone new” (or something witty if I can think of it) and you find a different person to talk to.
- It sounds terrifying I know, but it is so much fun and you find out all sorts of things that you wouldn’t do normally in a networking situation. By the end of it, people are laughing at themselves and each other, so please come with an open mind and be prepared for laughter. And the point of it is, that there’s very little time for change over, so make sure you’ve got a drink in hand to be able to keep going. We don’t take ourselves seriously and it’s not a “pitch” in any sense of the word. It’s making relationships and laughing at ourselves whilst getting to know other people.
How many people are coming?
30 people – so bring at least 30 business cards.
What time do I need to be there?
8pm – and we mean 8pm please, as we need to get started so everyone has a chance to meet each other. We’ll be done by 10pm at latest as we all have busy lives and people at home keeping the “fires burning”…
Where is it?
Goddards Interiors, Salomen House, CB10 1EH. Wendy tells me that the best thing to do is to park in the Waitrose car park and to park at ground level, not underground. Goddards is accessible from the car park. (Can you tell I’ve not been there before?)
What do I need to bring?
Yourself, and your business cards, pen and note paper
And answers to the following questions:
What’s your name?
What do do?
What’s your twitter name and facebook url?
What’s the best thing that has happened in your day?
Who is your favourite business person and why?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
What’s your favourite piece from the Design Essentials collection?
Have you done speed networking before?
[You don't *have* to know the answers to these things, but it's good to have different things to talk to people about...]
What if I get lost? What if I have a question I want to ask beforehand?
Call me, on 07515 910231 and we’ll help you find us / work out the answer with you…
What does it cost?
It’s free, but I think Wendy may have a charity in mind that she would appreciate £5 donations to, so don’t be surprised if she asks for them. You don’t have to donate at all, but if you’d like to you, I’m sure she’d appreciate it….